Hire a Writer
Get an expert writer for your academic paper
Take a look at samples for quality assurance
Enhance academic information and boost knowledge
How to Write a Dissertation Discussion
Date published September 16 2020 by Evie Tyler
It’s been months (or maybe a year). You haven’t lived your life without worrying about your dissertation. Eating, sleeping, doing groceries, even while going on dates, the only thing on your mind was your dissertation.
Now that you’re getting to the end of (F-I-N-A-L-L-Y), you can start planning your vacations. But hey, remember it’s not complete yet. You still have to work on the discussion chapter. If you want to finish it as soon as possible, let me give you guidance about how you can write the final chapter of your dissertation easily and quickly.
First of all,
How “Dissertation Proposal” Can Help You!
Our top dissertation writing experts are waiting 24/7 to assist you with your university project, from critical literature reviews to a complete masters dissertation.
Table of Contents
What is a Dissertation Discussion?
The discussion chapter is very important and crucial for your dissertation. This is the chapter in which you dive deep into the importance, meaning, and relevance of the outcomes of your dissertation.
In the dissertation chapter, you have to evaluate and explain the results and outcomes of your dissertation and research. But it’s not that simple. There is a lot to it that we are shortly going to learn. You have to relate the outcomes or results of your dissertation with the conclusions in the discussions chapter.
View different varieties of dissertation topics and samples on multiple subjects for every educational level
Are Discussion and Conclusion the Same?
A lot of students get confused between the discussion and conclusion.
The last chapter of a dissertation is called “Interpretations & Recommendations”. Discussion and conclusion are two sections of the final chapter. Although you’re going to learn everything about how you can write a perfect discussion section. You can check out this dissertation outline writing guide for detailed information.
Although discussions or conclusions are in the same chapter. The discussion section is where you evaluate your result(s) or outcomes while the conclusion section is where you conclude your whole dissertation.
The Recipe to Craft a Perfect Dissertation Discussion
There are multiple ways to structure and finish the discussion chapter but let me tell you the best way to structure your dissertation discussion. You have to keep these four key pointers in your mind to make your discussion section flawless:
- Interpretations: Discussing what do the result(s) or the outcome(s) mean.
- Implications: Stating why the result(s) matter.
- Limitations: Acknowledging what the results can’t tell us and why.
- Recommendations: Further evaluating the results to discuss what could be done to make the research more useful and better for future studies and practices.
These key factors are not very hard to cover but may take a lot of time. If you want to take a shortcut, you can always head towards some top-notch dissertation help any time you want and get your problems solved easily.
If you want to do it all by yourself then it’s not a problem either. Stay with me and learn how you can do it easily.
Let’s Write the Best Dissertation Discussion!
Stick here and find the best formula to write an irresistible dissertation discussion section.
1. Summarize the Major Outcomes:
It has been said more than once that first impressions can decide everything. It doesn’t matter if it’s the first chapter or the final chapter. You have to write the best intro to every chapter. If the intro is great then the reader would be curious and attentive while reading the rest of your dissertation.
The beginning of your final chapter should state your research problem in the simplest but the most informative way possible. You don’t have to repeat anything that you’ve already stated before in detail. Just report it precisely enough that the reader knows what you’re discussing here.
You can start your discussion chapter with sentences such as:
- The analysis suggests that…
- The results have confirmed…
- The outcomes demonstrate a correlation between…
For more guidance, you can contact a professional dissertation writer and get guidance about everything.
Get Help On Your Dissertation
DissertationProposal.co.uk is offering expert assistance for university students at any level. Our dissertation writing service has been serving students since 2011.
2. State Your Interpretations
After capturing the attention of the reader with a killer introduction of the chapter. You have to keep the consistency and keep up with the pace.
You know the meaning of your results, your reader(s) don’t because you have done months’ worth of research and not them. After the introduction, you have to state and discuss your interpretations.
But how do you do it?
You have to follow up on these few key instructions. If you do so, you will be able to easily interpret the results of your research:
- Identify the patterns, relationships, and correlation of the collected data.
- State if the result(s) or the outcome(s) came up to your expectations or not.
- Discuss whether the result(s) or the outcome(s) of your research support your hypotheses.
- You have to contextualize your findings according to existing theories and researches.
- State the result(s) you didn’t expect and then discuss their importance.
- You have to consider all the different possible explanations while arguing over the position of your research.
Your discussion can be organized around key themes, research questions, or hypotheses. You can follow the same formatting for your results section as well. Here are a few amazing ways to start your interpretations part:
- Contrary to the hypothesized association….
- The results contradict the claims of ABC (year) that…
- In line with the hypothesis…
3. What are the Implications of Your Research?
You have to prove the relation of your outcome(s) or result(s) to your research. While doing so, you have to make sure that your research complies with the literature you have referenced in the literature review chapter.
The part where you’re discussing implications should help you stand your ground. It should show how your results or outcomes of the research are fitting with the knowledge already presented. You also have to state how your research is going to contribute to the betterment of future studies.
The quickest way to find and state all the implications of your research is by simply asking yourself these simple questions:
- Are your results or outcomes in favour of previous studies? If they are, state what they add to it.
- Are your results or outcomes against the results or outcomes of previous researches? State why is that and how do you defend it.
- Are your results confirming or challenging the theories that already exist?
- What are the practical implications of your research?
You have to prove your point to the reader that your research is contributing to existing and future studies and it should not be overlooked. To strongly start the implications part, you can start with such phrases as:
- The results should be kept in consideration when…
- The collected data proves an easier approach to understanding the…
4. Discuss the Limitations and Their Impacts
There are always limitations. You should always acknowledge the limitations that you faced while doing your research.
For a top-notch discussion section, it is mandatory to list down limitations directly related to the dissertation. But you don’t have to list down every single error or issue you faced. For example, you can’t simply state the error that your Windows got corrupted or you were having a headache.
You have to state the limitations that directly affected your research process and your results as well. A common limitation example is “regional limitation” or being confined to a certain region of research. You can’t conduct your research to gather data from a wider audience or literature due to travelling issues.
These are some key things you have to keep in mind while stating the limitations:
- Stating the problems or issues you faced during your research
- What kind of impact these problems made on your research
- The possibilities that weren’t countered due to certain limitations.
- What can be done in the future to avoid certain limitations
5. Stating Your Recommendations
You have to analyze the results deeply in order to state the recommendations. The aim of recommendations is to help the future studies get better through your research. You can also make recommendations on how your research can be practically applied to the relevant field or studies.
The recommendations are usually included in the conclusion section of the final chapter. Now it’s up to you whether it will fit in the very end or before that.
You have to answer these questions according to the outcomes of your research.
- State how the results of your research can be made better.
- Discuss what kind of different approaches can be taken which weren’t possible due to the limitations you faced.
- Discuss how future studies can be improved using your research.
And that’s how your dissertation discussion section can be turned into a masterpiece. But before you go and start working on it. I have a few more tips to help you with your discussion section.
Some Tips to Make Your Discussion the Best!
Here are some tips for you to ace your dissertation discussion section.
- You have to make sure your results in the discussion section are not different than your conclusion’s part.
- You have to avoid any sort of claims that are not supported by your research data.
- Never make the limitations seem like a huge problem. State them wisely to increase the credibility of your research
- Avoid over interpretation.
- Only discuss the data being stated in your literature review.
Now that you know how to finish the dissertation like a pro. Don’t forget to give it all in the other chapters as well. By following the structure you can score highly in your dissertation. Although, if you are still sceptical if you can do it or not, then don’t stress it and buy a professionally written dissertation online. It’d be a lot easier.